Clear all

4-mx stops responding virtual dj 7 pro

21 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi guys
can anyone please help me with a problem im having with my 4-mx
it will work perfectly then suddenly stop mixing, nothing functions , the music still plays but the controller just dies and does nothing, its almost as if the usb ports are shutting off power.
ive checked that the power saving option is set to never turn off usb.
if i reconnect the controller and restart virtual dj it will work again then suddenly stop controlling.
i am using a registered copy of virtual dj 7 on both of my gig laptops
it does this on both laptops 
the problem happens at random times  
any help will be gratefully apreciated

Topic starter

Hi markymark1961

It is only the controls that stop working?

Any lights still lit on the controller when this happens?

You could try a different USB cable(regular USB printer cable)

Greetz

TheCause

Topic starter

hi  thecause
thanks very much for replying. all the lights stay on and music still plays through the unit, the problem is non of the sliders will work. i have to unplug the 4-mx and reconnect and restart vdj  to get full controls back, which is abit of a nightmare and embaressment when it fails on a gig. ive changed the usb lead and also checked that the power is not being turned off on usb, its the same on both my laptops, both being acer dual-core i3 cpu and gigged up to the max with ram. op system is windows 7

Topic starter

But what about the CPU indicater from the program. Does it go to the red area when the problem occurs, or it stays in the green-yellow area?

Along with the unit are you also using other external devices, like a webcam or an external HDD?

What version of the driver are you using? 

Topic starter

hi mistique
cpu flutters at about 40% never really goes all the way up unless its loading the track, which i understand is normal in vdj.
all my music is on my internal hdd's
webcam is built in and has been dissabled along with wireless and battery etc
im using the latest driver package, come to think about it the problem only started when i updated the drivers for the 4mx
ive reinstalled vdj and the software for the 4mx and i am about to test it today
wish me luck lol
what a nightmare

Topic starter

update on the situation, changed all the leads yet again !!!! ran mixer for about 90 mins at a gig lastnight..... guess what.... it did it again grrrrr music still comes out of speakers but still no control over sliders ....... beginning to thing ive got a very expensive paper weight on my hands.
things ive checked on laptop..... made sure all usb ports are set not to turn off power, dissabled usb sleep in power management aswell 
please please please guys i need this issue sorted its driving me mad, im pulling more hair out of an all ready balding head lol     

What audio configuration to you use with the 4-Mx in VDJ ?

Have you even tried modifying the ASIO buffer size ?

Is your music librairy quite massive ?  I will presume that it has all been previously analyzed?

Is your drive partitionned (one for Windows, another for the music for example) or is your music on the same partition as the operating system ?

Topic starter

hi phats
thanks for your speedy reply, audio in vdj is input mic.... output headphones ..... sound card 4mx.
i have quite an extensive music library all converted to mp3 format and yes it has all been analyzed so i can beat match on the fly .
both my drives are  dedicated to vdj and have no other use as both laptops are dedicated to gigs. windows loads on same partition 
asio buffer size is set to 10ms with all defaults selected . music quality and latency are nolonger an issue i sorted that little lot out with a few tweaks in the reg etc .
i used my faithfull mp3 e2 with the trim lastnight and everything was fine, ran it for 7 hrs no probs whatso ever .
but obviously after getting myself a rather expensive upgrade in the 4mx ide rather use that 🙂
its really getting to me now and im wondering what to throw out the window 1st ...... the laptops or the 4mx lol 

Would you happen to have a powered USB hub you could use between the computer and the 4-Mx ?

The audio interfaces in both the 4-Mx and the Trim are essentially the same, but the later is behind a powered USB hub, which could make a difference if the PC does not provide a constant  power to the USB ports.

You could also try changing the ASIO buffer size just to see if this makes a difference or not.

Topic starter

ive changed the buffer to the next step up no difference its almost as if the mixer is going to sleep despite maintaining constant power on all usb ports. ive connected a usb powered light into one of the ports to see if it shuts off but it remained on, so i plugged the mixer into this port and it still stopped responding. only way i could get it going again was to unplug the mixer and plug it back in. can i connect the 4mx to the trim and use the trim as a powered usb? ide go ahead and try it but dont want to further damage my units. i find this one very strange as the sound card on the 4mx still operates it just refuses to control any sliders, buttons or switches  after its been used for over 90 mins     

Topic starter

curiosity got the better of me thought sod it lol so am now trying it powered by the trim will keep you posted fingers toes and everything i can think of crossed 🙂

Topic starter

ok heres an update on the situation... tried to power the 4mx with the trim ..... worked fine for 2 hrs then started getting conflicts between trim and 4mx ( distorted sound)....... plugged into powered usb seems to have done the trick sofar 🙂 no dropouts freezing etc , have ran it for 5.5 hrs sofar without a problem. im now wondering if an external power switch and power adapter could be incorprated into the body of this unit ? hmmmm worth thinking about ....... what do you guys think ?   oh and b4 i forget a VERY VERY BIG THANKS TO PHATS  bigup brother 🙂

Topic starter

hi guys
update on the problem ITS BACK !!!!!!!! checked the equipment for a gig tomoz night and it would run for 90mins then stop responding again even with the 4-mx plugged into a powered hub, changed the lead rebooted , same thing , checked usb in power setting just incase windows had decided to change the settings all good there , whats really buggin me is the sound still comes through the lights stay on, it just refuses to control the sliders   

Did you ever noticed any static shocks when when this happen, or potential source of it around you (carpet, clothes, etc)?

Your descripton sounds a lot like what happens when a console gets shocked just enough to induce a reset of the controller part.

You might want to try connecting a ground lead to the back of the console and the other devices you are using and see if this might help. 

Topic starter

hi phats
 no static etc to make sure its not a problem with vdj or the laptops ive connected an american audio vms 4.1 to my system and that worked flawlessly for well over 9 hrs , so i thought hmm lets try the mp3 and trim that worked fine its almost as if the 4-mx is loaded with a time out that shuts the damn thing off after 90mins or so.
 i really love my 4-mx its the best mixer ive used in a long time but now its making me feel i have wasted alot of money as i earlier mentioned.
 can you guys please post your settings in vdj  that works on your systems  in order that i can try your configs.
1 thing ive remembered is i had non of this problem until i updated to the latest version of vdj but surely an update wouldnt make the controller act in this way .... or would it ?

Topic starter

ran mx just over 2 1/2 hrs today then sound started to distort and lost all controls beginning to think ive got a faulty unit 🙁

Maybe it is. I hope you're still under warranty and can get a replacement.

Topic starter

purchased the mx on 10/07/12 came with a 2 yr warranty ive contacted the vendor via email just waiting reply now

Topic starter

hi guys
update on the situation
sent unit back to supplier had it checked everything was ok acording to them . plugged it into gig laptop same thing grrr then had a bright idea ...... tried it on a laptop running xp ...... magic..... ran like a dream all day ....... connected back to the windows 7 laptops and it happened again cut off after 90 mins seems like my 4mx does'nt like windows 7 !!!!!!
anybody else discovered this ??
just to refresh memories both 7 laps are acers
heres hopin
marky

So did you get a replacement or did they send you back your original unit ?

Topic starter

sent back the original unit said everything was ok with it and no fault could be found, as i said it works flawlessly on xp but plays up on 7 grrrr . im relying on the american audio mixer at the mo but would love to get the mx sorted as i find its a better unit even tho the other units not letting me down i want my baby back

Hello,

The fact you get no issue in Windows XP means the origine of the issue is not hardware in the 4-Mx but but in a setting.

Please detail your configuration (as I do in my profile here), for example :
PC: Dell Vostro 230 - Core 2 Duo 3 GHz - Wifi off- 4 GB RAM - Windows 7 64-bit - Intel G41 Express graphic chipset - Hercules DJConsole Rmx2 with 2013_HDJS_2 drivers - VirtualDJ Pro 7.4 set in ASIO with output 1-2 set as master and output 3-4 set as preview - DJConsole Rmx2 control panel set on 4ms buffer size

Can you confirm you switch off the Wifi on the computer when mixing?

Page 1 / 2