Notifications
Clear all

right deck stop button dead? (rmx)

18 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hey everyone,

ive got the hercules rmx for about a year now, works perfectly (though traktor has had a few mapping issues but vdj pro 7 works fine).
yesterday i found out that the stop button of my right deck isnt doing anything.
i checked if it was mapped, cause the left one was working so i thought it might be a software error but it wasnt.
the play button works, i can also use it to pause the track but i just cant stop it and make the marker go back to 0:00, got to do that with the mouse.
all the other buttons on the right deck work fine too!

oh yeah i also tried to map the stop button to do something different but when i click key-learn in vdj pro 7 and then hit the stop button it just wont recognize it.. its just plain dead! and when i use any other key after clicking key-learn then those keys can be mapped but the stop button cant.

any thoughts on this?
should i return it to my dealer and let it be repaired or open it myself and see whats up? dont know if it will destroy my warranty ^^

cheers,
nova.

9 Answers

Hello,

The first thing to do is to check it is actually a hardware issue and not a software issue.
If you are in Windows, take for example MIDI Ox, install it, run it:
- Click on Options > Midi Devices: at "MIDI Input" list, click on DJ Console Rmx MIDI
- then DJ Console Rmx MIDI should be listed in "Port Map Objects:" list
- Click on  View > Input Monitor
- Push down on the Rmx Stop button and release it
=> Do you see anything on the Input monitor panel ?

As usual, I very very strongly recommend describing in your profile (My Space) your complete computer profile
- PC or Mac, which OS, in detail (as Windows 7 32-bit, Windows XP 32-bit Service Pack 3) , 
- which version of VirtualDJ 7 Pro (7.0.01 or 7.0.2 or 7.0.3)
- which version of DJ Console driver you use (you can check it in DJ Console control panel About Tab).
Posting a technical problem message without this information reduces the chance to duplicate your issue and solve it. 

9 Answers
Topic starter

Hey Maxdjack,

Updated my profile with the info needed =]
So I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.7 and I've got VDJ Pro 7.0.3
Driver package v2.47.

What do I need to do now?

and thanks for replying 🙂

9 Answers

As suggested by Maxjack, test the button outside of VDJ using the following procedure:

This will help determine if the problem is hardware or software.

9 Answers
Topic starter

Downloaded the midi monitor and just as I expected the stop button doesn't send any signal so it's hardware related.
Noticed that the mic volume button and headphone volume button don't give any signal as well, as do the right deck beat lock, right deck number 5 and just the "right" button (up, down, left, RIGHT).
So there's a lot of failure on the complete right side of the RMX, the left deck only has the mic volume button that doesn't give a signal but I don't know if that's normal or not?

Greets! (already decided that I'm gonna bring it back and let it be repaired, gotta cancel a few shows for that.. sucks!) 

9 Answers
Topic starter

Wow, i don't mean to go OT or sound rude but you are really cancelling "a few" shows because your controller isn't working?

Either (1) you aren't charging enough to work (because if you were, you'd just go buy another one which would be paid for in less than 1 gig)  or (2) you just aren't professional enough to show up to a gig...

By the way, if you're being paid to DJ you should already have backups....

9 Answers
Topic starter

haha no problem about the being rude part! =)

yes it's the first one, I don't ask enough for shows, do it for free mostly cause I just love the thrill it gives to build up and let
the crowd go crazy after a drop.
I don't mind doing it for free actually, would love to live off it but it just doesn't seem fair when your getting all the drinks for free and get to go crazy on stage while the rest has to pay for theirs and get the same, maybe even less energy out of the music then me.
I'm halfway finishing an album of my own productions(Dubstep/DnB/Electro) so I'll just sell that to get some money for a new/better controller.
I'd never cancel a gig just because I don't want to, feel sick or any kind of that lame excuses. I'm always up to them and actually makes me feel better after a few hours =]
I tried to save some money for another controller but I'm just to busy to already have bought a back-up, and I wasn't expecting it to have problems within a year while taking good care of it.. but that's just a stupid excuse, shouldn't have bought the Sziget ticket and bought a new set ^^

Anyway I'm just going to get it fixed in a few days, cause it still has warranty. 😀

9 Answers

Indeed seems like a hardware defect, and might as well make that warranty work for you.

BTW, the mic volume  and headphone volume will not show up as MIDI controls since that are analog, i.e. REALl volume input/output controls.

9 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks phatso =) thought so since it controls the RMX analogically and is not to be seen anywhere in VDJ or traktor so it couldn't be Midi.
But still the "Right" button, Right Number 5, right beat lock and right stop button are supposed to send midi so I'm sending it back.

Again thanks for the how-to on checking the problem! 

9 Answers
Topic starter

aargh!
I'm really bored right now, can't do anything at this moment.
Can't prepare some new sets or make a little money to buy the 4 mx. (which I really really want)
and the repairs are going to take at least about a week they said IF it's fixable.

Do you actually have that much hercules controllers phatso? it's really about everything from hercules!
Wish I had that :p

9 Answers
Topic starter

hello,

the first thing to do is to check it is actually a hardware issue and not a software issue.
if you are in windows, take for example midi ox, install it, run it:
- click on options > midi devices: at "midi input" list, click on dj console rmx midi
- then dj console rmx midi should be listed in "port map objects:" list
- click on  view > input monitor
- push down on the rmx stop button and release it
=> do you see anything on the input monitor panel ?

as usual, i very very strongly recommend describing in your profile (my space) your complete computer profile
- pc or mac, which os, in detail (as windows 7 32-bit, windows xp 32-bit service pack 3) , 
- which version of virtualdj 7 pro (7.0.01 or 7.0.2 or 7.0.3)
- which version of dj console driver you use (you can check it in dj console control panel about tab).
posting a technical problem message without this information reduces the chance to duplicate your issue and solve it. 

Topic starter

hey maxdjack,

updated my profile with the info needed =]
so im on mac os x 10.6.7 and ive got vdj pro 7.0.3
driver package v2.47.

what do i need to do now?

and thanks for replying 🙂

Topic starter

as suggested by maxjack, test the button outside of vdj using the following procedure:

this will help determine if the problem is hardware or software.

Topic starter

downloaded the midi monitor and just as i expected the stop button doesnt send any signal so its hardware related.
noticed that the mic volume button and headphone volume button dont give any signal as well, as do the right deck beat lock, right deck number 5 and just the "right" button (up, down, left, right).
so theres a lot of failure on the complete right side of the rmx, the left deck only has the mic volume button that doesnt give a signal but i dont know if thats normal or not?

greets! (already decided that im gonna bring it back and let it be repaired, gotta cancel a few shows for that.. sucks!) 

Topic starter

wow, i dont mean to go ot or sound rude but you are really cancelling "a few" shows because your controller isnt working?

either (1) you arent charging enough to work (because if you were, youd just go buy another one which would be paid for in less than 1 gig)  or (2) you just arent professional enough to show up to a gig...

by the way, if youre being paid to dj you should already have backups....

Page 1 / 2