Notifications
Clear all

dj 4set: trying to update firmware to ver 18

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
hello,

i am presently having no issues using my 4set controller on this machine (late 2011 mbp running high sierra), but i cannot use the controller on my new laptop. i preparing to move my music library to a new computer (2022 macbook pro) with usb c ports. i have an official apple-branded usb-c to usb-a adapter that i am using to try to connect to the new machine. after little success, my research indicates that it may be an issue with the firmware of the controller, based on official support documentation.

i have followed the recommended steps to download the latest drivers and attempted to manually update the firmware on my late 2011 mbp i am currently using, but the highest version available is 17 when doing so.

upon further inspection, i noticed the v5.03 is not included in the djseriesinstall 6.18s installer currently available on the support page per the official documentation:

"note: firmware updates from v5.03 are not included with this package.

v5.03

mandatory firmware update to prevent installation issues on usb 3.0 controllers (<b>please be sure to strictly follow the on-screen instructions for this very important procedure.</b>)

- dj console mk2: update to firmware v16
- dj console rmx: update to firmware v32
- dj console 4-mx: update to firmware v16
- dj console mk4: update to firmware v22
- dj 4set: update to firmware v18
- dj trim 4&6: update to firmware v14"

is there any place i can obtain a legacy driver with the update, or the .dja file with the version 18 firmware so i can manually update?

thank you.

-theoryexperience 

(edit: for clarity and missing a word) 

Hello,

DJ4Set firmware 17 is in all Hercules DJ Mac installer packages since 5.03, as usual, so I do not understand why you want the old DJ installer package 5.03:
1) you can update the firmware of DJ 4Set with the driver package 6.18S
2) I do not think the 5.04 package (released before 2015) is compatible with High Sierra.

DJ4Set dja firmware file (4SET_TUSB.dja) is installed in the folder:
Macintosh HD > Applications > DJHERCULESMIX > DJSeries > Updater

Topic starter

Thank you for your response. I am trying to upgrade the firmware in the Hercules controller to version 18, so that I can use the controller with my new Macbook (Macbook Pro 2021, Apple M1 Max 64 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.1).

According to the warning on the 4Set support page:

"If your computer PC/Mac with USB 3 ports does not detect your DJ console:

1) Test your DJ Console on a PC with either Windows 7 or Windows 8.0, or with not any USB 3 port.
Open the Hercules DJ Control Panel, go to the About tab and check the Firmware version.
To work on computers with a USB 3 port, the firmware version must end with:
- 16 on DJ Console Mk2,
- 32 on DJ Console Rmx,
- 22 on DJ Console Mk4,
- 18 on DJ 4Set,
- 16 on DJ Console 4-Mx."

I am using my late-2011 model Macbook to manually update the firmware. When I load the file 4SET_TUSB.dja located in the Updater Folder, the version displays as "17" not "18". Based on the information on the support page, I understand that I need version 18 in order to use my 4Set controller with newer devices.

According to the release notes, the current installer (6.18S) does not contain the version 18 firmware updates, although they are mentioned in the release history, which states that those updates were released with an older installer (5.03).

"NOTE: Firmware updates from v5.03 are not included with this package.

v5.03

Mandatory Firmware update to prevent installation issues on USB 3.0 controllers (Please be sure to strictly follow the on-screen instructions for this very important procedure.)

- DJ Console MK2: update to Firmware v16
- DJ Console Rmx: update to Firmware v32
- DJ Console 4-Mx: update to Firmware v16
- DJ Console MK4: update to Firmware v22
- DJ 4Set: update to Firmware v18
- DJ Trim 4&6: update to Firmware v14"

I am looking specifically for the 4SET_TUSB.dja file and any other required file that was will allow me to upgrade my firmware to version 18. I have tried using the respective .dja included with the current installer (6.18S), but it is only for firmware v17.

Thank you.

Thaank you

Hello Theory Experience,

Indeed you are right, I had not noticed DJ4Set firmware in mac package with release 17 and not 18.

I can send you the firmware release 18 by the private message area if you:
- accept my invitation on  https://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/account/friends/
- send me a private message with "DJ4Set / request fimware 18 for macOS" as title and the link to this discussion as contents.

Once you get the firmware file, make sure you have a USB hub powered by a power adapter between the computer and the DJ controller (DJ4Set has an old generation chipset, so that a rash in the firmware update may kill the controller - then the solution would be reprogramming the eeprom with an external burner, which is more complicated).

I cannot run a test on a DSet as I have no DJ4Set, but I met another not detection issue with DJConsole Rmx (which has the same USB controller chipset as DJ4Set) on a macBook with USB 3 ports(macBook Air 11" early 2015), so it may be good you try my process as maybe your computer does not need a firmware update of DJ4Set.
Since El Capitan (macOS 10.11) at each major update of macOS, I must connect a USB 3 hub between the macBook USB 3.0 ports and my DJ Console Rmx after each major update of macOS (as macOS 11 (Big Sur), macOS 12 (Monterey) and macOS 13 (ventura).
I do not meet this issue on my new Mac M2.

-