Notifications
Clear all

help to set up 5.1 sound system with dj console mk2

14 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi, im new to this forum!

i purchased a dj console mk2 a few days ago, but i cant get the sound to be powerful. my loudspeakers system is 5.1, so that it needs three input stereo jacks to work correctly (front, rear, center/bass). im trying to set it up for a demo of traktor pro.

if i connect the console directly to the loudspeakers, using the mk2 sound card, i only have the choice to connect it to one of the jacks, thus the sound lacks frequencies. and if i choose to use my pc soundcard (5.1) in this way: the mk2 controls the sound from within the pc sound card via the usb connection, and the pc sound card outputs the resulting sound to the loudspeaker system (front, rear and subwoofer), then i can only hear one of the decks, and it sounds way distorted.

so, what else can i do in order to use traktor pro with the mk2 with a 5.1 sonud system?

7 Answers

A 5.1 system is not the most adequate set of speakers to use for DJ applications, as you've seen, but there is hope.

Most systems can work in what is often called "Surround" mode, meaning that when connected to a stereo source (such as a gaming console, or in this case the MK2), you will get sound out of all speakers.

Check you speakers user manual for mode detail about this mode , which may require some minor adjustements (on the remote control or menu display, if there is one) and possibly connecting only the FRONT (Green) connector to the speakers.  

7 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks for your reply DJ Phatso!

Well, I already tried by only connecting the green (front) minijack with the cable bundled with the console which has two RCA jacks (red and white) at one side, which I connected to output 1/2, and a stereo minijack at the other, which I connected to the front connection of the speakers. The resulting sound was having absolutely no bass.

My loudspeakers system is a little old. It's also Hercules by chance! Model is XPS 510.

7 Answers

As I was saying, previously, be sure that NOT to connect the REAR and CEN/SUB cables to the back of the subwoofer, which
would put the system in 5.1 mode, making only the 2 front speakers functional.

7 Answers

Hello Darko74, 

As you have a 5.1 surround speaker system built for a computer, you probably have a 5.1 sound card in your PC, so can you try 
- plugging the output 1-2 of the DJ Console Mk2 to the line input of your computer sound card (with a 1/8" stereo jack male to 1/8" stereo jack cable)
- keeping your 5.1 speaker system connected to your 5.1 sound card card
- and adjust the volume in the mixer of your 5.1 sound card ?

7 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks for your suggestions!

DJ Phatso: your solution worked for me once, but I'm trying again and the music sounds way scratchy and distorted, almost unrecognizable.

Maxdjack: I've tried your solution too, so that I can take the most of my 5.1 sound system, but the music sounds scratchy too!

Why is this happening and what could I do to fix it?

7 Answers

So you say it worked once. What is different now ?

Is the speakers system working properly if you connect another audio source (an iPod for example) using the same cable ?

Have you tried lowering your levels ?

7 Answers

Hello Darko74,

Regarding my suggestion of connecting the output 1-2 of DJ Console Mk2 to the line input of your computer sound board, maybe the DJ Console Mk2 strong output volume saturates the line input of your computer sound board, so can you go in the Window mixer of your computer sound board (not the mixer of the DJ Console Mk2, the mixer of the sound board which is in your computer), and reduce the volume of the line input?  

7 Answers
Topic starter

a 5.1 system is not the most adequate set of speakers to use for dj applications, as youve seen, but there is hope.

most systems can work in what is often called "surround" mode, meaning that when connected to a stereo source (such as a gaming console, or in this case the mk2), you will get sound out of all speakers.

check you speakers user manual for mode detail about this mode , which may require some minor adjustements (on the remote control or menu display, if there is one) and possibly connecting only the front (green) connector to the speakers.  

Topic starter

thanks for your reply dj phatso!

well, i already tried by only connecting the green (front) minijack with the cable bundled with the console which has two rca jacks (red and white) at one side, which i connected to output 1/2, and a stereo minijack at the other, which i connected to the front connection of the speakers. the resulting sound was having absolutely no bass.

my loudspeakers system is a little old. its also hercules by chance! model is xps 510.

Topic starter

as i was saying, previously, be sure that not to connect the rear and cen/sub cables to the back of the subwoofer, which
would put the system in 5.1 mode, making only the 2 front speakers functional.

Topic starter

hello darko74, 

as you have a 5.1 surround speaker system built for a computer, you probably have a 5.1 sound card in your pc, so can you try 
- plugging the output 1-2 of the dj console mk2 to the line input of your computer sound card (with a 1/8" stereo jack male to 1/8" stereo jack cable)
- keeping your 5.1 speaker system connected to your 5.1 sound card card
- and adjust the volume in the mixer of your 5.1 sound card ?

Topic starter

thanks for your suggestions!

dj phatso: your solution worked for me once, but im trying again and the music sounds way scratchy and distorted, almost unrecognizable.

maxdjack: ive tried your solution too, so that i can take the most of my 5.1 sound system, but the music sounds scratchy too!

why is this happening and what could i do to fix it?

Topic starter

so you say it worked once. what is different now ?

is the speakers system working properly if you connect another audio source (an ipod for example) using the same cable ?

have you tried lowering your levels ?

Topic starter

hello darko74,

regarding my suggestion of connecting the output 1-2 of dj console mk2 to the line input of your computer sound board, maybe the dj console mk2 strong output volume saturates the line input of your computer sound board, so can you go in the window mixer of your computer sound board (not the mixer of the dj console mk2, the mixer of the sound board which is in your computer), and reduce the volume of the line input?