herc rmx input soun...

Notifications
Clear all

herc rmx input sound problem and other issues - you rock if you can assist!

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

first: one big question that may help me figure out some of the issues i am having configuring this unit to my setup...

• i have an analog turntable going into a vestax dj mixer.
  • that mixers outputs go into hercules input channels 1/2.
  • hercules outputs go out output 1/2 to powered monitors.

should be a fairly straight forward chain, but how come if i turn every single volume and gain down on the hercules unit (double checking that vdj 7 software shows the same), i can still hear the record playing from the analog turntable loud and clear??!! i seem to have zero control of the level of that input?

if i play mp3s, no problem. all gains, x-faders, etc work as expected. ive tried every input and output config combination (to the best of my knowledge) with the same results.  as a matter of fact, i can play an mp3 on the left "virtual turntable" and play a record through the rmx 1/2 input. they overlap each other when listening? my expection is that the "source" button would act like a switch between what is played "virtually/mp3s" and whatever is plugged into that input channel. engage source1 and that would allow the external signal to come though and the rmx gains would control that signal. nope. the rmx source buttons only seem to be looking for timecodes (i have to go to the software and hit aux to get a line in...seems like a trivial thing, but its just one of many things i am finding that my new puchase isnt doing as expected)

current config is:

• virtual dj 7 pro
  • vdj input: line ins
  • vdj output: headphones
  • vdj soundcard: dj console rmx
  • rmx input channel are set to: line in/phono
  • rmx audio mode: wdm

i have cross posted on vdj forums with no luck. seems like a firmware issue with the rmx or either im missing some fundamental concept with how the rmx inputs work.

im tryng really hard to like the herc rmx, but am finding that i am having to create a lot of "work arounds" to do what i expected to unit to be able to perform out of box (ex: the mic preamp poor volume has made that input worthless, lack of a "booth" volume control seperate from master has made me invest extra $ to solve imo basic setup issues).

anyone that can help gets a whole sh*t full of good karma 😉
help me be happier with the herc rmx! i really want to be!

thanks,
-c

3 Answers
Topic starter

(fyi- crossposted in Software)

Ok, update...I have figured out how to map the control's via VDJ.
So this addressed my Source=Timecode bitchyness 😉 - I now have it set to "linein"

I have also noticed that the "Uncontrollable Volume" signal is only a problem via the Source Input 1/2. Source 3/4 accepts a turntable signal and I am able to control its volume as expected with the RMX gains and sliders.

Still wondering what is going on with Line In 1/2

Thanks! -c

3 Answers

Hello,

You should switch the Rmx in ASIO mode, since in WDM Windows cannot handle more than 1 stereo input (so the settings you apply on input 3-4 are applied at the same time on input 1-2).

3 Answers
Topic starter

(UPDATE)

Thanks Breizh! Looks like I had...

USB streaming 1-2 + Line In 1-2

...set in the Advanced tab of the DJ Console RMX. When I changed this to the USB streaming 1-2 (Default) option, the play through issue has been fixed. The Source button toggles signal and the Gain and Master controls work for that input.

Now for some reason my Vol Deck1 and Vol Deck2 sliders no longer seem to be mapped to VDJ all of a sudden and don't do anything. I checked mapping in VDJ and it should work.

Now to troubleshoot to the next issue I guess 😉

thanks to all making an effort to assist.
-c

3 Answers
Topic starter

(fyi- crossposted in software)

ok, update...i have figured out how to map the controls via vdj.
so this addressed my source=timecode bitchyness 😉 - i now have it set to "linein"

i have also noticed that the "uncontrollable volume" signal is only a problem via the source input 1/2. source 3/4 accepts a turntable signal and i am able to control its volume as expected with the rmx gains and sliders.

still wondering what is going on with line in 1/2

thanks! -c

Topic starter

hello,

you should switch the rmx in asio mode, since in wdm windows cannot handle more than 1 stereo input (so the settings you apply on input 3-4 are applied at the same time on input 1-2).

Topic starter

(update)

thanks breizh! looks like i had...

usb streaming 1-2 + line in 1-2

...set in the advanced tab of the dj console rmx. when i changed this to the usb streaming 1-2 (default) option, the play through issue has been fixed. the source button toggles signal and the gain and master controls work for that input.

now for some reason my vol deck1 and vol deck2 sliders no longer seem to be mapped to vdj all of a sudden and dont do anything. i checked mapping in vdj and it should work.

now to troubleshoot to the next issue i guess 😉

thanks to all making an effort to assist.
-c