hercules rmx random...

Notifications
Clear all

hercules rmx randomly failing on midi

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

so basically, after all the issues i sorted out after i first realised id messed up my cable connection (i was trying to install and activate the controller using an ni s2 usb a-b) ive run into another problem

im using traktor pro 2 on a windows 7 laptop and a direct usb connection. i also route out of my rmx into a behringer mixer and then into a kaoss pad kp2. the problem im experiencing is after around 5-10 minutes of booting up the program and mixing on the hardware, ill press a button, any button, and itll randomly disable the controllers routed midi signals. all the lights turn off and i cant control anything on traktor using my rmx anymore so instead, i have to cancel my mix, unplug and replug my controller and then boot up traktor again

i have no idea what it could be because my initial thought was "maybe im clipping too much on my master" so i turned it down and it was working fine for about half an hour until it crashed again

please help, ive only had this controller for a little over a month and its only actually worked properly like 2 or 3 times out of the many times ive attempted to use it

safe, thanks if you read this
james 

It looks like an electric issue, either a difference of potential between 2 devices you touch at the same time, or an electrostatic discharge.

1) If the issue is problem of difference of potentials between 2 gears.

If the issue happens when you touch another electric device at the same time as the Rmx (as a mixing table, an amplifier (or headphone or a microphone plugged to an amplifier), amplified speakers, ), it is not an electro-static problem: it is a problem of difference of potential between the Rmx and the other device.

This probably means the connection to the ground doesn't work, as the ground of the computer and the ground of the other electric device are not at the same potential. A short term solution is to plug the computer and the other device (the device you touch at the same time when you get the discharge generated by the difference of potential) on the same power bar, and a long term solution is to ask an electrician to check your electric network.

2) If the origin of your problem is an electrostatic discharge

It is probably electrostatic discharge if the issue happens always when you put the hand on the DJ Console Rmx, and a way to prevent is would be to

- remove the screw holding the aluminum plate to the console on rear panel close to the USB plug,

- wind a thin metal cable (as a copper cable) around the screw

- fix the screw again,

- wind the other end of the copper cable around the input 1-2 ground screw.

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Topic starter

Thanks for such an extensive reply, wasn't expecting that

It could easily be one of either, cause I'm routing out through to a Behringer mixer which then routes to a Kaoss Pad where I monitor through headphones (obviously not literally monitor, but listen to playback) but neither my mixer or my effects pad are connected with USB to my laptop. It's only the RMX that is USB connected, so all other signals from the controller are analog.

As for the electrostatic, it is true that sometimes I don't even have to press a button for it to switch off, sometimes I just have to lean on it slightly or maybe tap the casing a little and it turns off.

So with that in mind, before I wrap any wire around any metal, would you say it's safe to assume that it's the second one? It sounds more electrostatic to me but I also had some luck a while ago, maybe 2 weeks ago, when I switched to routing out 3 & 4 to my monitor, which made me believe that maybe that would entail it read the output on 1 & 2 to my mixer as void, which meant maybe it was acting as if there was no external device outside of the Hercules.

I just want to be sure that's all, cause I don't even own thin metal cable so I'm gonna need to go out and buy that

Thanks again and hope you get back to us soon
James 

I'm pretty sure you must have an old pair of headphone or some small electric appliance you are not using from which you could use the wire. Simply strip both ends and make the connection. This does not need to be ovely complicated.

Also be aware of potential static enducing material. For example, are mixing on a carpet, wearing wool socks, in a really dry environement? 

Topic starter

Hardware should really not be determined by surrounding materials but OK, taken into account and no, that all seems fine.

I'll go find some metal cable then and test it out cause the only advice I got from technical support was all to do with VDJ even though I specified I was using Traktor

Safe, thanks
James