question about asio...

Notifications
Clear all

question about asio and sound from computer

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hey guys how are you, havent been around in a little while. i was  just wondering becuase i keep experimenting with my rmx to discover things on my own, as i always have with every toy i get. i didnt know what asio was, or for that matter i stil  dont know what it is exactly, what i have discovered, thought, is that if i set the control panel to asio and latency lower than 8ms, i can solve a lot of problems, like, the response time between when i press something on the console and when the vdj actually performes the function. also, i think i solved the issue that sometimes when i used to lower the volume sliders fast it would get stock and not kill the sound completely on vdj sometimes as a result you would hear clashing beats.

but now to my question, sometimes i need to get sound out of other programs other than vdj but when in asio mode, the only sound that is reproduced is from vdj. i dont know if its a problem with my settings, or hardware. or if thats whats supposed to happen. thanks for sharing your knowledge.

system specifications:
laptop: hp tx1110us 1.6 ghz dual proccesor, 2gb ram downgrade to windows xp sp 3
software: virtual dj  pro 5.2
driver: latest release (dec 08)

3 Answers

Good to see someone who's not affraid to experiment!

For the short story on ASIO, check this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output

As you can see, the idea behind ASIO was exactly to reduce latency and provide better performace for audio related applications.

Regarding your question, it is perfectly normal for other programs not to work if your console is set to ASIO, as they do not support it.

To prevent this, simply go into Windows Sound Properties, and set your computer's soundcard as the default audio playback device ( and be sure to check the box to use only the default device). This way, you can leave the console in ASIO mode for Virtual DJ, and everything else will use the onboard.

3 Answers
Topic starter

thank you dj phatso. i just did that today  and it worked fine. But there was a glitchy soound on my headphones.

3 Answers

On the console you mean ? If so , did you also have it on the main output ?

Have you taken a look at this guide explaining how to improve the performance of your computer?

3 Answers
Topic starter

good to see someone whos not affraid to experiment!

for the short story on asio, check this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/audio_stream_input/output

as you can see, the idea behind asio was exactly to reduce latency and provide better performace for audio related applications.

regarding your question, it is perfectly normal for other programs not to work if your console is set to asio, as they do not support it.

to prevent this, simply go into windows sound properties, and set your computers soundcard as the default audio playback device ( and be sure to check the box to use only the default device). this way, you can leave the console in asio mode for virtual dj, and everything else will use the onboard.

Topic starter

thank you dj phatso. i just did that today  and it worked fine. but there was a glitchy soound on my headphones.

Topic starter

on the console you mean ? if so , did you also have it on the main output ?

have you taken a look at this guide explaining how to improve the performance of your computer?