My starlight keeps ...

Notifications
Clear all

My starlight keeps disconnecting from serato pro after about an hour.

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have a 2023 MacBook Pro and have no issues with my DDJ-SZ2. I have to unplug it and plug it back in then it works for about 10 min. I’ve tried restarting my computer and that will work sometimes. The controller sometimes will keep playing but no sound and the button won’t work unless I unplug it and plug it back in.

any ideas?

Topic Tags
3 Answers

Hello Bigblizz,

You obviously meet an issue with the mac powering off the USB port after some time, as it if did not detected the continuous USB stream.
It may be caused by the USB-C to USB-A cable adapter: what is your adapter brand/model?
I use a USB-C to USB-A adapter with no issue, but it is not an ultra cheap adapter from Wish or Temu.

BigBlizz Topic starter 07/04/2024 11:02 pm

It doesn’t actually disconnect, it shows it’s still
Connected but the controller in unresponsive. I was using the cable that came with it and added an ankeer adapter. I bought the cable in the pic so I didn’t need to adapter

Hello BigBlizz,

1) Can you check if you get this issue when the macBook Pro is connected to its power outlet?
2) Does this issue happen whatever the USB port your Dj controller is connected to? Does it occur with both the Anker adapter and the USB-C to USB-Mini cable?
3) If you have other USB devices connected at the same time (as a printer connected to the screen), can you check if your problem also occurs when this other USB device is disconnected?
4) Have you tried connecting the DJ controller to a USB hub powered by a power adapter? 

BigBlizz Topic starter 09/04/2024 6:31 am

If I don’t have my MacBook plugged in the jog wheels won’t function as ‘vinyl’

It happens with both maker and just cable, nothing else connected, happens with all inputs

Haven’t tried to use a powered hub. You would think my MacBook Pro would be enough to power it.

Hello Bigblizz,

Jog wheel touch detection (in vinyl mode) uses a capacitive process which requires grounding the computer (detecting fingers touch by a super slight difference of voltage between the top surface of the jog wheel (powered by the USB) and the user (powered by having feet on the ground).

Most laptop computers have a sufficient chassis to be grounded by themselves, but your computer battery is probably too light for it and needs a power plug to be grounded by the power cable.

I have not this issue on my own MacBook Pro 2023 M2 laptop.

If you

- either connect your laptop by its power cord,

- or add a USB hub powered by a power adapter between the computer and the DJ controller,

the power cord (to the laptop computer or to the USB hub) will provide enough grounding to make the vinyl touch detection work.