ac power buzzing no...

Notifications
Clear all

ac power buzzing noise through speakers

12 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi, i am running a rmx through my laptop on traktor, out of the 1/2 jack mixer output and into the line in/aux of my stereo system. whenever my laptop is plugged into the mains i get a very audible and very annoying buzzing sound through the speakers (if i unplug to just battery power the noise disappears). this is a problem i continue to have when using any kind of mixer through my laptop (i.e. when i just listen to music on media player for example directly from the laptops soundcard to the speakers line in there is no problem) and having extensively searched the internet for a solution i cant find a definitive one. if anyone can tell me of a relatively cheap way of eliminating this noise while still plugged in, i would be extremely grateful?

12 Answers
Topic starter

it sounds like you need a ground loop isolator. something like these would do mate

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?criteria=ground%20loop&source=15

Topic starter

yeah, this seemed to be the main thing that kept popping up when searching for similar problems. i think ill give one a try, thanks for the quick response.

Topic starter

hello tykesgroove,

if the issue is a ground loop, it can be supressed also in powering the speakers, the computer and the mixer directly on the same power supply with a multiple- outlet power strip.

Topic starter

hi max, i currently have the speakers (via their sony stereo unit) and the laptop running from the same 4-socket extension cable with the mixer being powered by usb, and the noise is still there. does that mean you would say its not a ground loop problem?

Topic starter

hello tykesgroove,

if the laptop and the speakers are powered by the same power outlet, and you still get noise, with no device connected to another power outlet between the computer, the dj console rmx and the speakers, then the issue is not a ground loop. you can check it by plugging headphones in the dj console rmx headphones plug: if you get the same noise in the headphones, and if you get the same noise if you connect the headphones in the sound card built-in the computer, then it is not a ground loop, it probably means that the computer power adaptor is noisy (transfering noise to the audio signal), and you should change it.

please plug good headphones in your computer built-in sound card and in dj console rmx headphones plug, and let us know the result of your test.

Topic starter

there is no noise in the headphones (when they are in the rmx or the laptop)

Topic starter

hello tykesgroove,

i now believe your issue is simply a saturation of your stereo system.

please connect the rca outputs 1-2 of the dj console rmx to your stereo system instead of the jack 1-2 outputs. the jack 1-2 outputs have a +4dbu output level, the rca outputs have a -10dbv output level, so if your stereo system cannot support this +4dbu output level, you hear noise in the speakers.

Topic starter

hi, sorry for the confusion but i obviously got mixed up when writing the first post because im not currently using the +4dbu output im using the other one. again, sorry for the confusion, i appreciate the help and am not deliberately being stupid!

Topic starter

a simple way to test if it is the power supply is to unplug the power supply. ive got a netbook with a grounded power supply that buzzes when connected, fine when disconnected. funny thing, another laptop i have with an ungrounded power supply is the opposite; it buzzes when no power supply connected (forget if that was with the rmx though, might have been another device - strange though).

Topic starter

its definitely only when connected, but does that require a new power cable or a ground loop isolator or something else?

Topic starter

you mean only when the power adapter is connected, right?

the ground loop isolator should work. i have the a.r.t. one and it works on my netbook. you will drop a bit of fidelity though.

you could also try to find a non-grounded power supply (might be tough, depending on the model and how much info is provided on sites when shopping). you want a power supply designed that way though, not one modded. its not recommended to bypass ground by using one of those cheap wall adapters or by removing the pin.

some mixers have an option to lift ground. maybe the next rmx will add it 🙂

Topic starter

yep, when ac power is connected. i think ill look into getting an isolator, thanks for the help