Notifications
Clear all

change effect on dj control steel

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi all!

i recently bought myself a dj control steel, and overall im very happy with my purchase!
ive installed virtual dj 6, which works perfectly fine, except for one thing; changing the effects binded to the effect buttons results in very weird behavior...
i found out  that long-pressing the effect buttons pops-up an effect list, from which you can choose what effect to bind to the button.
the only problem is, after binding the beatgrid effect to button 5, i cant map button 6... when i try to assign, for example, the flanger effect to button 6, it will play the beatgrid effect instead when the button is pressed.

is this just me? and if so, how do i correctly bind an effect to an effect button? if not, how do i solve my problem?

thanks in advance! 

6 Answers

Hello,

Please precise your version of VirtualDJ 6 (for example, do you use VirtualDJ 6.1 Pro, and what is your opeating system)?
Do you get the same issue on both decks (left and right)?  

6 Answers
Topic starter

Hello,

Please precise your version of VirtualDJ 6 (for example, do you use VirtualDJ 6.1 Pro, and what is your opeating system)?
Do you get the same issue on both decks (left and right)?  

I'm running VirtualDJ 6.1 Pro on Windows 7 Professional 64-bits. I get the same issue on both decks. I haven't downloaded any custom mapper, so everything is stock. I use the latest drivers for my DJ Control Steel, provided by ts.hercules.com.
I'm sorry for not providing these details in the first place. 

6 Answers

Hello TheLuckys,

I have just tested VDJ 6.1 Pro on Windows 7 64-bit without getting the same issue.

1) Can you check, in VirtualDJ > Config > Mappers menu, in DJ Control Steel map, if the key BUTTON6 matches with the action djc_button 6?
2) If you activate the Shift button (which converts DJ Control Steel buttons 1 to 6 into 7 to 12), do you meet the same problem on button 12 if you map beatgrid on button 11?
3) Is this issue on Button 5 specific to the beatgrid effect or do you get the same kind of duplication from effect mapped on button 5 to button 6 with other effects?
4) Can you check in the folder C:\Users\YourName\Documents\VirtualDJ\Mappers that there is no map here?

6 Answers
Topic starter

Hi Maxdjack,

I've re-installed VirtualDJ, and now the BeatGrid and Flanger are working ok. (Buttons 3 and 6)
But for the rest of the buttons it's the same problem:

1) All the buttons correspond to their correct action (djc_button #).
2) If I activate the Shift button, it's still the same behavior. I can't map any other button than 3 and 6 (so even 9 and 12 aren't working).
3) You just exactly described my problem Knipogen, when mapping other buttons, they'll activate the last played effect. So if that's a Flanger, the newly mapped button will play a Flanger no matter the chosen effect for that button.
5) Mappers folder wasn't empty, so I removed (cut) the XML file inside -> No effect. 

6 Answers

Hello TheLuckys,

1) Have you installed other releases of VirtualDJ on the same computer?

2) How do the buttons behave in VirtualDJ 5 DJC (the software included with the DJ Control Steel)?

6 Answers
Topic starter
Hi Maxdjack,

At the time, I only had VirtualDJ 6.1 Pro installed. Now I've installed VirtualDJ 5 DJC, switching effects is very different. You can no longer long-press an effect button (well, you can, but it has no effect).
So you can only switch by selecting a new effect in the VirtualDJ interface (You can see all 6 effect buttons per deck).
Switching effects in VirtualDJ 5 DJC works like it should.

6 Answers
Topic starter

hello,

please precise your version of virtualdj 6 (for example, do you use virtualdj 6.1 pro, and what is your opeating system)?
do you get the same issue on both decks (left and right)?  

Topic starter

hello,

please precise your version of virtualdj 6 (for example, do you use virtualdj 6.1 pro, and what is your opeating system)?
do you get the same issue on both decks (left and right)?  

im running virtualdj 6.1 pro on windows 7 professional 64-bits. i get the same issue on both decks. i havent downloaded any custom mapper, so everything is stock. i use the latest drivers for my dj control steel, provided by ts.hercules.com.
im sorry for not providing these details in the first place. 

Topic starter

hello theluckys,

i have just tested vdj 6.1 pro on windows 7 64-bit without getting the same issue.

1) can you check, in virtualdj > config > mappers menu, in dj control steel map, if the key button6 matches with the action djc_button 6?
2) if you activate the shift button (which converts dj control steel buttons 1 to 6 into 7 to 12), do you meet the same problem on button 12 if you map beatgrid on button 11?
3) is this issue on button 5 specific to the beatgrid effect or do you get the same kind of duplication from effect mapped on button 5 to button 6 with other effects?
4) can you check in the folder c:usersyournamedocumentsvirtualdjmappers that there is no map here?

Topic starter

hi maxdjack,

ive re-installed virtualdj, and now the beatgrid and flanger are working ok. (buttons 3 and 6)
but for the rest of the buttons its the same problem:

1) all the buttons correspond to their correct action (djc_button #).
2) if i activate the shift button, its still the same behavior. i cant map any other button than 3 and 6 (so even 9 and 12 arent working).
3) you just exactly described my problem knipogen, when mapping other buttons, theyll activate the last played effect. so if thats a flanger, the newly mapped button will play a flanger no matter the chosen effect for that button.
5) mappers folder wasnt empty, so i removed (cut) the xml file inside -> no effect. 

Topic starter

hello theluckys,

1) have you installed other releases of virtualdj on the same computer?

2) how do the buttons behave in virtualdj 5 djc (the software included with the dj control steel)?

Topic starter
hi maxdjack,

at the time, i only had virtualdj 6.1 pro installed. now ive installed virtualdj 5 djc, switching effects is very different. you can no longer long-press an effect button (well, you can, but it has no effect).
so you can only switch by selecting a new effect in the virtualdj interface (you can see all 6 effect buttons per deck).
switching effects in virtualdj 5 djc works like it should.