hercules rmx record...

Notifications
Clear all

hercules rmx recording with traktor

22 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi, i have the rmx setup as an asio device on traktor scratch pro and the only record settings on traktor produce wav files that are way too big (nearly 2 mb every ten seconds). i gather there is no way of recording to mp3 on traktor but is there any way of reducing the size of the files or recording with some other software (ive tried using audacity and although it recognises the rmx, pressing record produces this error... error while opening sound device. please check the input device settings and the project sample rate.)?

thanks

11 Answers

Hello Tykesgroove,

Are you sure Audacity was not set in WDM when you have tried recording with Audacity ? If the Rmx is set in ASIO while you try opening it in WDM/DirectSound mode with Audacity, you will get the message "Error while opening sound device...".

11 Answers

If you want to record using Audacity, you would need to configure it to use your computer's soundcard instead of the Rmx, since this one is already being used by Traktor.

You would then need to route the output of the Rmx to the LINE In of your other soundcard.

11 Answers
Topic starter

Hello Tykesgroove,

Are you sure Audacity was not set in WDM when you have tried recording with Audacity ? If the Rmx is set in ASIO while you try opening it in WDM/DirectSound mode with Audacity, you will get the message "Error while opening sound device...".

possibly, but i cant find any reference to WDM or ASIO in the preferences to try and change this?

11 Answers
Topic starter

If you want to record using Audacity, you would need to configure it to use your computer's soundcard instead of the Rmx, since this one is already being used by Traktor.

You would then need to route the output of the Rmx to the LINE In of your other soundcard.

i think the only way i could do this with the wires i have is using output 3/4 and a phono-jack cable, but doing this takes 3/4 off monitor in the traktor output preferences and i cant use the mixer without monitor. i have had audacity recording from the same soundcard that is playing the music before so is there any particular reason why the soundcard in the rmx cant do the same?

11 Answers

Indeed, standard multimedia sourdcard often have a Stereo mix function that allow recording of everything that is being played on the PC, but this is not the case with the Rmx. The fact that the RMX is being used in ASIO by Traktor will not allow any other applications to use it (in either ASIO or WDM).

The Audio mode (ASIO or WDM, which is the Windows standard) can be selected in the Rmx Control Panel.

If your speakers support high inputs signal, you could connect then to the +4 dBu jack output and use the RCA output to send to your computers soundcard. 

11 Answers
Topic starter

as in having master and monitor on mono and through outputs 1 and 2 respectively, then record through 3/4?

11 Answers
Topic starter

as in having master and monitor on mono and through outputs 1 and 2 respectively, then record through 3/4?

11 Answers

Let me be clearer:

Your Traktor configuration doesn't change: Your main mix is still going out of Output 1/2 and your monitor through Headphone/ 3&4.

However, since you have 2 stereo pairs outputing the same signal, you connect your speakers to the Outupt 1/2 4+ dBu Jack outputs and you use the RCA 1/2 Output to send the signal to your computer soundcard, using an RCA to minijack cable, which will record your mix with Audacity. 

11 Answers
Topic starter

right i see. probably another stupid question (sorry), but what sort of cables/adapters do i need for the for the 4dbu output?

11 Answers

There are never stupid questions, only stupid answers đŸ™‚

The outputs use standard 1/4" jack (also known as 6.35 mm these days), so depending on the speakers you are using you will need probably need either:

- Two 1/4" Male Mono to RCA

-  1/4" Male Mono to stereo female mini jack

11 Answers
Topic starter

ok, thanks very much for taking the time to help.

11 Answers
Topic starter

hello tykesgroove,

are you sure audacity was not set in wdm when you have tried recording with audacity ? if the rmx is set in asio while you try opening it in wdm/directsound mode with audacity, you will get the message "error while opening sound device...".

Topic starter

if you want to record using audacity, you would need to configure it to use your computers soundcard instead of the rmx, since this one is already being used by traktor.

you would then need to route the output of the rmx to the line in of your other soundcard.

Topic starter

hello tykesgroove,

are you sure audacity was not set in wdm when you have tried recording with audacity ? if the rmx is set in asio while you try opening it in wdm/directsound mode with audacity, you will get the message "error while opening sound device...".

possibly, but i cant find any reference to wdm or asio in the preferences to try and change this?

Page 1 / 2