looking around i se...

Notifications
Clear all

looking around i seem to be alone with this problem but...

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

im what you would call an old skool dj. i dont use beat grids or the sync button, i use the pitch fader and the headphones to beatmatch.

ive had a hercules rmx for about 3 years now and have been using traktor pro on a windows machine.

i recently switched from windows to a 27" imac and have run into problems.

i downloaded the latest drivers yesterday for the rmx from the technical support site and installed them. installation was fine. i installed traktor pro 2 and set everything up. then came my problem.

when i play a track through the main speakers all is well, and i get the monitor coming through the headphones and begin to match the beat.

when the track is in sync i begin to move the fader across, and the two tracks coming through the speakers are no longer in sync...only out by a few milliseconds but its enough to hear that they are not synced correctly.

if i use just one side of the headphones and listen to the sound coming through the speakers i have to have the beat in the headphones slightly ahead of what is coming through the main speakers to match the beat. its only very slight but its enough to have a slightly out of time beat when i bring the fader across.

it would seem that the sound is coming through the monitors a few milliseconds ahead of the sound from the speakers. if i play deck a through both the main out and the monitor out and put them close to each other you can hear that the beat from the monitors is slightly ahead.

at first i thought it was a problem with traktor 2 so i installed virtual dj 7, and the problem still exists there, went back to my windows pc and the problem was gone. the only thing i can think of is a problem with the mac driver or a setting i am missing on my mac.

can anyone help me out? its very annoying.

Hello,

As the sound moves at 1,126 ft/s, the distance between you and your speakers should explain the effect you hear.

If your headphones is on your left ear while the speaker for the audience plays the mix at 12 ft from you, then, while the sound is played synchronised in both devices, the sound played in the speaker for the audience arrive to you 12/1,126=0.010s= 10ms after the sound played in the headphones.

To avoid this, you can keep the headphones on both ears and set the Cue to Mix button between Cue and Mix, so the headphones plays both the Cue and the mix.

Topic starter

yes i'm aware of how sound travels, but as stated, using exactly the same setup on windows (speakers in exactly the same place) the delayed effect is not present as it is in the mac.

I can have the headphones turned right up and placed right next to the speaker so I can hear both simulataneaously and it will still sound ahead unless I use my windows laptop.

Hello,

If you have 2 pairs of headphones, you should try to connect
- a pair of headphones to the headphones output,
- the other par of headphones to the Rmx output 1-2
and see if they play in sync or not.

Topic starter

hey,

tried this just now, theres a definate, if very small delay between the sound coming out of the headphones port and the sound coming out of the headphones from output 1+2 on the iMac.

when I reconnect to windows, everything is in sync fine.

Hello,

Can you confirm you play the sound for the headphones and for the speakers on the Rmx?
What is your Mac OS version?

Topic starter

hi, yes both the sound from the headphones and the speakers come from the rmx. headphones are plugged into headphone port and speakers to output 1 and 2.

Mac OS version is lion 10.7.2 

Hello,

1) Can you test on your Mac with VirtualDJ 5.2.2 DJC Rmx on the same computer to check if you have the same issue?
I don't mean you should mix on another software than the software you have choosen, but testing on VDJ would help to identify if this issue lays in a setting of the software or in a setting before the software.

2) What is your complete version number of Traktor Pro 2?

3) Please confirm if your Mac OS 10.7.2 version is in 64-bit.