new rmx, wont recog...

Notifications
Clear all

new rmx, wont recognize, blinking lights... firmware hosed??

6 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi...
just got my rmx, installed the software and everything seemed to be going great.  got vdj started and got a track going, tested the sliders and such... i did a "check for updates" and if found a new firmware for me, but then failed to find the controller when it was trying to install the new firmware.  now the lights just blink and i cant get it to reinstall or be recognized by the computer.  reading around, especially on here, it sounds like i hosed the firmware or something... but i am unable to find the "force firmware update" pdf that explains how to fix it anywhere on the web.  could someone please help me out so i can get this thing going to night before i get in touch w/ tech support (ill have to wait until sunday afternoon to do that..) 

6 Answers
Topic starter

answered your other post mate.

Topic starter

thanks...  i have it working now, but still having some problems.  console is glitching out occasionally, stopping playback and only some midi signals transmitted.. disconnecting and reconnecting, then restarting vdj seems to bring it around, but it goes out again eventually... will repost in another topic when i get home..

Topic starter

i dj in my bedroom and i have lots of static electricity.

i never thought static electricity mattered with computers...ive worked at a computer store and assembled hundreds of computers and carelessly played with components all the time with no care to statically killing things.

while we are not killing our rmxs, we are i think shorting them out or something. my rmx has the same problem as yours does.

i had to force firmware installation on the guy, and after that i seem to have frequent issues with the rmx getting zapped. virtual dj might freeze. audio will quit on pa system, headphones might work...might not work and still play cued music. all the lights on the rmx go out.

unplug it, plug it back in, and power up virtual dj and its fine. i even ran a ground cable to a desk near by and that has not fixed the problem (plugging in to the ground in the back). although i think i might need to have better metal on metal contact with my ground at the grounded spot.

if anyone has any clue how ot fix this please let us know. it is really annoying.

Topic starter

yeah its a total grounding issue for me.

do you dj on a carpeted environment?

Topic starter

hello xjn,

when you ask for advice on a computer product, providing some information on your computer is necessary
- mac ( mac os 10.47 or mac os 10.5?) or pc (windows xp or windows vista)
- desktop or laptop
- dj console rmx connected to a usb plug on the computer or to a usb powered hub.

i am not sure you have a grounding issue, if you have windows have you disabled the setting which allows the system to cut the power on your usb bus ?
- click start > settings > control panel > system > hardware tab > device manager
- in the device manager dialog box, expand universal serial bus controllers, right-click usb root hub, and then click properties.
- in the usb root hub properties dialog box, click the power management tab. the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" check box is displayed, disabled this setting
- repeat the operation on all usb root hub lines.

Topic starter

mmm.  sorry to drop this thread, but i didnt know there were replies... is there some sort of notify setting im missing...

@factory... i found a workaround, got pissed that i had to find a workaround, and returned the unit hoping for a better one.  a replacement did the exact same thing (and its messed up in different ways).  the short answer is: use the top headphone jack with a set of headphones that has jack with a metal collar.  see your other thread.

@max:  tested on pc desk and lap, both xp, mac lap plugged and batteries, no hub in any case.  same behavior each time.  configured power save settings properly.  tried grounding rmx ground posts to computer case, usb ground, earth ground, and to my techniqs just for kicks.  same behavior in every case.

edit: hmmm, i am watching this thread... theres a button that says "stop watching this topic", but i received no notifications... what gives?