radio interference ...

Notifications
Clear all

radio interference from pc on console mk2

12 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

this is the weirdest problem...recently bought a dj console mk2, connected to a gateway laptop running vista. had some installation problems, drivers, etc, but eventually got those sorted and finally connected up to an amp and speakers. new (but secondhand) speakers and got new speaker cables. noticed a hum/whine coming from left speaker when i first connected everything and thought the worst, but by swapping various components and trying other bits of kit through the amp and speakers, i have been able to rule out any problems with the speakers, cables and amp.

so then i thought the signal cable from console to amp might be the problem. if i waggle the jack plugged into output 1/2 i do get crackles and brief periods of silence. so ive tried three different signal cables and thought it must be the console (a bad earth or something).

but when i opened internet explorer to log onto this site i noticed that the hum/whine, which now sounds more like short wave radio interference seems to correspond to mouse movements and activity on the pc! if i move the mouse from side to side (touchpad on the laptop) i get a definite change in the sound coming from the left speaker. the strangest thing is, all the gains on the amp and console are at zero and i have quite an audible sound coming from the speaker.

could this be interference from wireless? anyone got any ideas how i can eliminate it? first gig on 24th!!

thanks,

chris.

6 Answers
Topic starter

OK, just continuing my process of elimination:

I've connected the signal cable directly to the headphone socket of the laptop and I still get the same interference - so that rules out the console as the culprit. I've also connected an mp3 player to the amp and no interference.

So my PC is definitely causing interference - any ideas?

6 Answers
Topic starter

Just disabled the wireless adapter, which was an obvious cause, but that doesn't stop it.

Does anyone know how to suppress radio interference coming off a cheap laptop?!

6 Answers
Topic starter

Could you try this, disconnecting your laptop powercord and running on your laptop battery for 10 minutes, to see if the hum disappears.

If it does, then you have a ground loop problem, this is easily cured.

6 Answers
Topic starter

Jimmy - that's it!

On battery, no noise! What's the easy fix?

Thanks,

Chris.

6 Answers
Topic starter

Jimmy - that's it!

On battery, no noise! What's the easy fix?

I see your from the UK, like me.

Simple mate. Get yourself down to local Maplins, or order online. You need a ground loop Isolator, there only a tenner mate.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33172

Use that from RCA output 1&2 to your amp, and it should cure the humm

6 Answers
Topic starter

i had exactly the same issue with my laptop, a change of power supply fixed this straight away. 10 quid from maplins?? shit man i paid £40 for mine from millenium music...robbing bastards!!!!

6 Answers
Topic starter

ok, just continuing my process of elimination:

ive connected the signal cable directly to the headphone socket of the laptop and i still get the same interference - so that rules out the console as the culprit. ive also connected an mp3 player to the amp and no interference.

so my pc is definitely causing interference - any ideas?

Topic starter

just disabled the wireless adapter, which was an obvious cause, but that doesnt stop it.

does anyone know how to suppress radio interference coming off a cheap laptop?!

Topic starter

could you try this, disconnecting your laptop powercord and running on your laptop battery for 10 minutes, to see if the hum disappears.

if it does, then you have a ground loop problem, this is easily cured.

Topic starter

jimmy - thats it!

on battery, no noise! whats the easy fix?

thanks,

chris.

Topic starter

jimmy - thats it!

on battery, no noise! whats the easy fix?

i see your from the uk, like me.

simple mate. get yourself down to local maplins, or order online. you need a ground loop isolator, there only a tenner mate.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=33172

use that from rca output 1&2 to your amp, and it should cure the humm

Topic starter

i had exactly the same issue with my laptop, a change of power supply fixed this straight away. 10 quid from maplins?? shit man i paid £40 for mine from millenium music...robbing bastards!!!!