rmx 2 + virtualdj p...

Notifications
Clear all

rmx 2 + virtualdj pro + external mixer = ????

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hello everyone, a pro dj for the last 30 years or more, now in amateur mode, and very recently having decided to switch to the digital world, i find myself slightly in a noobs quagmire and would need some assistance with thanks in advance

as the title suggests, last night i went for my first time to dj with the setup in the title, ie, laptop (of course), an rmx2 console, and an external mixer belonging to the club where i was supposed to plug the whole setup (nb: i had connected and practiced significantly at home the rmx2 to my desktop pc so had very limited experience in the real world of console setups)

i guess i could have just plugged the speakers to the xlr outputs of the console (thus removing the connection from the clubs mixer) but it was a no-go as there would be others djing later last night and so unplugging and replugging speakers on the mixer was not a very viable option.

so, i opted "simply" (in quotes as it turned out not to be so simple in my noob case) το connect to the clubs external mixer where channels 3 and 5 were available, so i took the following steps:

1. connected one rca cable from rmx2 output 1&2 to channel 3 and another from output 3&4 to channel 5 of external mixer respectively

2. config virtualdj pro with output selection to external mixer with deck 1 left chan deck 2 right channel which with the above configuration it should have been channel 3 of mixer l and channel 5 r respectively

3. in the virtual dj pro config, soundcards should be the asio (ie the rmx 2)

i should have expected the rmx2 to have taken over now, and keep the two mixer channels at whichever volume level i want them to be and do the rest from the rmx including cueing songs via headphones, mixing etc, right?

only no, it did not work! only output 3&4 (to external mixer channel 5) seemed to work with only that channel from the mixer working and not the other one. nor could i listen to headphones via rmx2

there is a small possibility that the external mixer of the club may also not be in top shape, as i realized after giving up on the setup above and doing it the old-fashioned cd way (luckily i had a backup plan which meant my cds in the boot of the car!!!) but still i am very much dismayed.

some help for this noob would be appreciated... i am thinking that virtual dj pro may be overkill (for all the money i spent) and maybe connect with djuced? 

Obviously, with that many years of experience, your problems were related to the idiosyncratic of the software and the "virtual" rather than the technical side.

When working in External mixer mode, you are basicaly telling the software that you want to use it audio sources and that mixing (EQ, crossfades, volumes, headphone preview etc) will be handled by the said external mixer. Some softwares then disable these functions to prevent any possible interferences. I'll have to check if this is the case with VDJ, but I see from their user manual (Page 8), they suggest disabling the crossfader, so that might no be the case.

Not ruling out potential issues with the club's mixer,  I have a feeling maybe your crossfader might have been set to the right side (instead of being centered), which prevented Deck A from going through.

However, if you had wanted to mix internally (meaning using VDJ to handle the mix, which is what I presume you were doing at home) , the audio configuration would have to be:

Input: None
Outputs : Headphones > Master 1&2 / Headphones 3&4
Sound card : ASIO > Hercules RMX2 ASIO

Hope that clear things out.

Topic starter

Hi and thanks, indeed it is the virtual world that created all these issues for me and I also tried at the Virtual DJ forums where the reply was actually quite simple and I must admit 10000% my fault 🙂

What it was really was the setup on the output of the Virtual DJ which I should have opted for laptop with headphones.

You see, coming from the analog world it took me a while to realize that there is effectively NO external mixer here (nor a need for one in my setup) as essentially what I am doing is connecting my laptop to the club's mixer 😉 Meaning that the controller is the laptop and the laptop is the controller and thus only one channel on the club's mixer was required 😉

OK, it took me a while to understand, blame it on my transition now all works normal as I bothered to go back to the club last night and while they were replenishing alcohol stocks I worked everything out! 

Glad to know you are back on track.Laughing