Notifications
Clear all

trouble with mic/headphones with rmx

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

whats up?
i use my dj console rmx with windows xp 64-bit sp2, virtualdj 5.2.00 pro, and using the on-board realtek ac97 card on my asus a8n-sli deluxe motherboard (spdif out to yamaha receiver/speakers) to monitor.  i use the rmx mainly for broadcasting to a shoutcast server i have @ http://djbooth.serverroom.us:4846/listen.pls  (shoutcast @ 160kbps)

for settings, heres what it looks like at the moment:

in windows audio device settings, i have the rmx selected as both sound playback / sound recording, and also under the voice tab as voice playback and voice recording.

in vdj, config, sound setup:   input: none, output: single output, sound card(s): simple, sound card: primary sound driver

in vdj, record tab (must use basic skin), broadcast tab, config:
record from: master
auto-start is off
format:  shoutcast @ 160kbps using lame_end.dll encoder
broadcasting to external server

i can play from both decks fine, able to broadcast cleanly to my stream and monitor live through my speaker system.  however, when i try and add a mic into the mix, it will not broadcast (or echo through monitor) my or any sounds uttered into the microphone.  i tried a standard desktop headset mic (unpowered): nothing.  next i tried a powered desktop mic (2 aas) w/ 1/4" output: nothing.  i also have a shure nc-1 anniversary condensor mic w/ mobile pre phantom power/usb interface which i could output through a 1/4" line-out, but i havent tried that config yet.

every time, i have the mic volume up, and i hit "mic on" (also making sure the mic itself is turned on) but it never increases the audio at all (to indicate low level at least).  it just doesnt work!  i tried both ports and still nothing.

how do you get microphones to work with the rmx?  and at the same token, the headphones arent doin shit either.

any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks!

mcfisherprice
myspace.com/mcfisherprice

5 Answers

First of lets correct a few easy problems by changing a few things in VDJ. First, your soundcard configuration:

Input: None
Output: headphone
Soundcard: DJ Console Rmx

Already, you should now be able to use your headphone bye pressing the CUE Select button .

Next,  under recording. If I understood correctly, you want to broadcast your voice and your mix. In that light , you should select:

Record from: Master + Mic

Now that this is configured correctly, there are a few more things that your need to understand to get this working:

- All the button "Mic On" does on the Rmx is enable the "Talkover" function, meaning that it sends the microphone signal to the main output (1/2) when you want to talk to a crowd. This won't be of any use here.

- If you look at the Rmx control panel, under INPUT CHANNEL 1-2, you will notice that you can select either "Mic" or "Line In/Phono". Obviously, for your case, you should select MIC.  Also notice that you don't have this choice for channel 3-4.

Most importantly, what should be understood here is that for for both decks, you have the choice between playing an MP3 or using an external source , BUT you can use your microphone ONLY for Deck A...

...which leads us back to VDJ. You have 2 possible channels ( or Decks if you prefer) at your disposal. If you want to broadcast both your voice AND music at the same time, you will need to proceed as follow:

- Press button SOURCE 1 on the Rmx so that the LED is On. This indicate to VDJ to switch to external source on DECK A, and that it will be used for the microphone. Note that in this state, Deck A cannot play any Mp3.

- Use Deck B to play your music while you talk, and use your crossfader to balance the voice vs music.

- Once your done talking, you can obviously switch back to internal mode on Deck A and load another Mp3, but you have to remember to ALWAYS this deck for the microphone.

One more thing: DO NOT enable "Apply EQ on external inputs" in the soundcard configuration. If you do, VDJ will switch the Rmx to ASIO mode, and you won't be able to record the microphone as VDJ doesn't support this yet.

It might also be a good idea to upgrade to the most recent version of VDJ 5.2.1

5 Answers

Hello Mcfisherprice,

With DJ Console Rmx (as DJ Console Mk1 and Mk2), the microphone streaming is mixed in hardware to DJ Console Rmx output 1-2, it is not a software mix so it is not in the audio streaming produced by VirtualDJ (so you don't get the microphone in the headphones or in the broadcasting).

If you want to keep playing MP3 files on deck A, you can broadcast the VirtualDJ mix WITH the microphone output by
1- connecting the output 1-2 of DJ Console Rmx to the line input of your computer sound card,
2- recording the computer sound card as broadcast source.
As there are 2 simultaneous outputs 1-2 on the Rmx, you still have 1 stereo output available (the pairt of jack 1/4 or the pair of RCA) to listen to the mix.

5 Answers
Topic starter

Thanks so much for the information guys!  I just got some time to check out both replies and will make those changes.  Thanks again, and I'll reply again with the outcome of my tweakings!  =]

much appreciation!
mcfisherprice

5 Answers
Topic starter

Hello my fellow DJs Laughing

I have recently purchased a Behringer BCD 3000 with the sole intention of being able to webcast to a couple of small radio stations and also shoutcast servers on the net. Somehow though, (according to Behringer support) it turns out that this cannot be done with the BCD 3000. One can only broadcast EITHER music OR voice through the mic...no talking over the music, which makes absolutely no sense to me and therefore my brand new controller is absolutely useless to me.

I have seen the Hercules RMX controller featuring a mic input too and from what I read here, it IS possible to use at least one of the Decks to play a track and at the same time to assign the other Deck to a microphone and talk over the music.

I would like to have this clarified before I buy the Hercules RMX, because I wouldn't want to throw away 2 controllers within 8 days, just because they don't suit me Tongue out

So....I can really (really really!) send out music AND voice simultaneously...right? Laughing

One more thing...if I got it right, DJ Phatso is saying that it IS possible to assign the mic to Deck A and talk over the music being played on Deck B, then once done talking switch Deck A -on the fly-  back to internal mode and mix a new track..That would suit me just fine, only...did I understand DJ Phatso correctly?... (my apologies for giving the impression of a dumbass here but I must have read like 2000 posts in various forums in the last hours so I am not sure about anything any more Laughing )

Thank you for your help in advance

5 Answers

DeeJaee,

Where you using Virtual DJ with the BCD 3000 or another software ?

The procedure I described above was related to Virtual DJ Pro. I haven't tested with other DJ software yet, so results may vary,  whether the broadcast application is integrated into the DJ software or works as a seperate application, if the DJ software supports external sources, etc.

However, what pertains to the way the inputs works will still apply to any DJ software: On Deck A , you can either use the Mic In or the Line In, but not both at the same time. 

5 Answers
Topic starter

first of lets correct a few easy problems by changing a few things in vdj. first, your soundcard configuration:

input: none
output: headphone
soundcard: dj console rmx

already, you should now be able to use your headphone bye pressing the cue select button .

next,  under recording. if i understood correctly, you want to broadcast your voice and your mix. in that light , you should select:

record from: master + mic

now that this is configured correctly, there are a few more things that your need to understand to get this working:

- all the button "mic on" does on the rmx is enable the "talkover" function, meaning that it sends the microphone signal to the main output (1/2) when you want to talk to a crowd. this wont be of any use here.

- if you look at the rmx control panel, under input channel 1-2, you will notice that you can select either "mic" or "line in/phono". obviously, for your case, you should select mic.  also notice that you dont have this choice for channel 3-4.

most importantly, what should be understood here is that for for both decks, you have the choice between playing an mp3 or using an external source , but you can use your microphone only for deck a...

...which leads us back to vdj. you have 2 possible channels ( or decks if you prefer) at your disposal. if you want to broadcast both your voice and music at the same time, you will need to proceed as follow:

- press button source 1 on the rmx so that the led is on. this indicate to vdj to switch to external source on deck a, and that it will be used for the microphone. note that in this state, deck a cannot play any mp3.

- use deck b to play your music while you talk, and use your crossfader to balance the voice vs music.

- once your done talking, you can obviously switch back to internal mode on deck a and load another mp3, but you have to remember to always this deck for the microphone.

one more thing: do not enable "apply eq on external inputs" in the soundcard configuration. if you do, vdj will switch the rmx to asio mode, and you wont be able to record the microphone as vdj doesnt support this yet.

it might also be a good idea to upgrade to the most recent version of vdj 5.2.1

Topic starter

hello mcfisherprice,

with dj console rmx (as dj console mk1 and mk2), the microphone streaming is mixed in hardware to dj console rmx output 1-2, it is not a software mix so it is not in the audio streaming produced by virtualdj (so you dont get the microphone in the headphones or in the broadcasting).

if you want to keep playing mp3 files on deck a, you can broadcast the virtualdj mix with the microphone output by
1- connecting the output 1-2 of dj console rmx to the line input of your computer sound card,
2- recording the computer sound card as broadcast source.
as there are 2 simultaneous outputs 1-2 on the rmx, you still have 1 stereo output available (the pairt of jack 1/4 or the pair of rca) to listen to the mix.

Topic starter

thanks so much for the information guys!  i just got some time to check out both replies and will make those changes.  thanks again, and ill reply again with the outcome of my tweakings!  =]

much appreciation!
mcfisherprice

Topic starter

hello my fellow djs laughing

i have recently purchased a behringer bcd 3000 with the sole intention of being able to webcast to a couple of small radio stations and also shoutcast servers on the net. somehow though, (according to behringer support) it turns out that this cannot be done with the bcd 3000. one can only broadcast either music or voice through the mic...no talking over the music, which makes absolutely no sense to me and therefore my brand new controller is absolutely useless to me.

i have seen the hercules rmx controller featuring a mic input too and from what i read here, it is possible to use at least one of the decks to play a track and at the same time to assign the other deck to a microphone and talk over the music.

i would like to have this clarified before i buy the hercules rmx, because i wouldnt want to throw away 2 controllers within 8 days, just because they dont suit me tongue out

so....i can really (really really!) send out music and voice simultaneously...right? laughing

one more thing...if i got it right, dj phatso is saying that it is possible to assign the mic to deck a and talk over the music being played on deck b, then once done talking switch deck a -on the fly-  back to internal mode and mix a new track..that would suit me just fine, only...did i understand dj phatso correctly?... (my apologies for giving the impression of a dumbass here but i must have read like 2000 posts in various forums in the last hours so i am not sure about anything any more laughing )

thank you for your help in advance

Topic starter

deejaee,

where you using virtual dj with the bcd 3000 or another software ?

the procedure i described above was related to virtual dj pro. i havent tested with other dj software yet, so results may vary,  whether the broadcast application is integrated into the dj software or works as a seperate application, if the dj software supports external sources, etc.

however, what pertains to the way the inputs works will still apply to any dj software: on deck a , you can either use the mic in or the line in, but not both at the same time.