Notifications
Clear all

problem with the sound level on my dj cosole mk2

14 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi all,

i have massive sound level problems when i pre-hear the tracks on my headphones and when i hear the output signal no my speakers via cinch.
the sound level is getting quieter/muffled and then louder/brighter again randomly. its not possible to hear if the tracks have too much/too little heights/mids/bass and its also not possible to play live because the sound level fluctates.

i use vdj 6 pro and future decks. on both the same problem.
i tried 2 different pc´s. on both the same problem.

i think the matter is that the console is unshielded against dvb-t antennas or any other interfering field or my headphones (technics rp-dj 1200) may have too much resistor??

sorry for my bad english, i´m from germany.

has anyone the same problem?

any clue/tip or answer would be nice.

best regards

brotax

7 Answers

Hello,

It may be the result of a bad contact issue on the USB cable or a severe variation of the power on the USB bus.
Can you test if you get the same issue
- after changing the USB cable?
- after removing all other USB devices (I had once a close issue, it was caused by a defective mouse) ? 
- whether you are in ASIO or in WDM,
Please precise in your profile your computer configuration (your detailed operating system, as Windows XP 32-bit Service Pack 3 / your CPU / your RAM), your DJ Console model, your DJ Console drivers, your audio configuration (example: master on channel 1-2 / Preview on channel 3-4), your detailed software version (example VirtualDJ Pro 6.1).

7 Answers
Topic starter

hi Maxdjack,

thx for your answer.

i already changed the usb cable with the same result. i only use the mouse via usb on both pc´s and i dont think both are damaged. nothing else is connected via usb on both pc´s when i work with the MK2 Console.
i´m working with WDM driver on both pc´s (and i dont know how to use ASIO driver because when i try to change to ASIO it doesnt work and it automatically switches to WDM again). drivers are the newest from the hercules homepage (2010_HDJS_2 package from 19.05.2010), firmware is the newest (the newest firmware is included in this package).
both pc´s are on windows xp pro 32 bit. one of them sp2 with intel 3,4 ghz HT processor, the other sp3 with intel dual core 2,13 ghz processors. both are on 2048 mb ram.
master output is on channel 1-2 (on channel 3-4 as master out the same problem), previewing only about headphones via the MK2 headphone output.
my console is as i wrote the DJ Console MK2. i use VirtualDJ  Pro 6.1.2, VirtualDJ DJC Edition 3.4.0.0 (bundled with the MK2 Console,which i already uninstalled on one pc because i thought two versions of VirtualDJ would cause the problem) and Future Decks Pro 2.0.2.

as i wrote above i´m using two different pc´s. one pc (win xp pro 32 bit with sp2) is only for producing music with ableton live (with a RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632 soundcard) and i dont have any problems using other usb devices like Behringer BCR 2000 or my master keyboard (which i disconnect when using the DJ Console MK2) with the power of the usb bus. the other pc has no additional soundcard (only the onboard sound which i deactivated).

i think i figured out that the problem is to be achieved when neighbours (or myself) are using DVB-T antennas to watch tv (maybe because of the dB boosting of those antennas or the signal itself??).
i had no problems for a while when i switched off my antenna, but my neighbours want to watch tv alsoLaughing.

yesterday i contacted the Hercules Support via internet with no answer until now. i will try to cantact them via phone tomorrow.

i will precise the configuration in my profile for the pc´s.

when the problem cant be solved i will exchange my Mk2 Console and buy another product from another provider or i will go and buy vinyl and reanimate my two Technics SL 1210 MK2.

many thanks for your answer and your time you were spending,

greetings,

brotax

7 Answers
Topic starter

hi again,

today i bought an external power supply for the MK2 Console and i still have the same problem.
now i am really at the end to explore the possibilities what ever will cause the problem.
every signal i´m playing about the console has these loudness ups and downs (VirtualDJ, Future Decks, Winamp etc.).
it only can be an error with the console itself or any signal ratio (maybe really dvbt antennas????? or wireless lan networks????).

now the support will get a call from me and when they cant help me i will exchange this thing and never buy any Hercules product again.

im really pi..ed now

7 Answers

There is always a possibility that your Mk2 might have a hardware defect, but people have used it successfully in clubs and other locations with many sources of interferences near by, so shielding should not be an issues.

Do you have the possibility to try your console in a different environment, to see if you get the same results ?

7 Answers
Topic starter

hello,

i figured out that i have to connect the console to my pc, then i have to disconnect it and connect it a second time (while windows is running). very strange but it works fine now. i tried the console in two different enviroments on two different pc´s and had always the same problem (one pc on the groundfloor of my residence and one pc on the top floor).

my phone call to the german support of Hercules was a big joke. the staff member really asked me if i could take a photo of my problem and send it to him. my answer was: how shall i take a photo of an audio signal??
after describing my problem thousand times i once again answered him that every audio signal of the console shows this problem (vdj, future decks, winamp and all other media players, external signals). his answer was if i can watch a movie via any media player and if the problem is still there. i once again answered: EVERY signal shows the same problem. then he couldnt continue to help me and suggested to exchange the console or send it to Hercules for repairing it. end of phone call. no other clue? i realize that the support cant help when you really have a problem, like all supports in germany. by the way i still have no answer of my online contact to the Hercules support. sad, really sad.

but the main point is that it works like a charm now. and for the price i payed its a (now) really good sounding and user friendly console.
i´m happy now Laughing

thx for any answer.

keep the vibes alive    Wink

7 Answers

Hello Brotax,

1) For the need to connect-disconnect-reconnect
If you have to connect-disconnect-reconnect, I suppose it is a USB-bus power supply problem. If you have the opportunity to connect the DJ Console Mk2 to a power USB hub, I suppose you should not meet this problem any problem.
For the power adapter you have connected with no success, it helps only if it is a regulated power adapter, if the adapter is not regulated, then the DJ Console Mk2 remains powered via the USB port. You know whether the adapter is regulated because it is written "regulated" on the adapter if it is regulated. 

2) For the switching from ASIO to WDM in VirtualDJ
VirtualDJ automatically switches Hercules DJ Console series between ASIO and WDM depending on your VirtualDJ setting.
With Hercules DJ consoles, you find in VirtualDJ sound setup panel the setting "Enable EQ on external inputs":
- if you activate this setting, VirtualDJ switches the console in ASIO,
- if you don't activate this setting, VirtualDJ switches the console in WDM.

3) Technical supports can help when one meets a problem, but it takes time to identify the issue when it is not a common one. 

7 Answers
Topic starter

Hello Maxdjack,

thanks for your answer.

the only thing i can say about the power supply is that it´s a fixed voltage plug in power unit (switching power supply technology).

i still have no answer from the support and its about a month now i asked to help me.
i don´t use the mk2 console anymore and i´ll never ever buy any hercules product again.

i decided to buy a reloop digital jockey 2 interface edition. that one is great and makes no problems at all. its worth every cent i paid for it.

merry xmas and a happy new year,

brotax

7 Answers
Topic starter

hello,

it may be the result of a bad contact issue on the usb cable or a severe variation of the power on the usb bus.
can you test if you get the same issue
- after changing the usb cable?
- after removing all other usb devices (i had once a close issue, it was caused by a defective mouse) ? 
- whether you are in asio or in wdm,
please precise in your profile your computer configuration (your detailed operating system, as windows xp 32-bit service pack 3 / your cpu / your ram), your dj console model, your dj console drivers, your audio configuration (example: master on channel 1-2 / preview on channel 3-4), your detailed software version (example virtualdj pro 6.1).

Topic starter

hi maxdjack,

thx for your answer.

i already changed the usb cable with the same result. i only use the mouse via usb on both pc´s and i dont think both are damaged. nothing else is connected via usb on both pc´s when i work with the mk2 console.
i´m working with wdm driver on both pc´s (and i dont know how to use asio driver because when i try to change to asio it doesnt work and it automatically switches to wdm again). drivers are the newest from the hercules homepage (2010_hdjs_2 package from 19.05.2010), firmware is the newest (the newest firmware is included in this package).
both pc´s are on windows xp pro 32 bit. one of them sp2 with intel 3,4 ghz ht processor, the other sp3 with intel dual core 2,13 ghz processors. both are on 2048 mb ram.
master output is on channel 1-2 (on channel 3-4 as master out the same problem), previewing only about headphones via the mk2 headphone output.
my console is as i wrote the dj console mk2. i use virtualdj  pro 6.1.2, virtualdj djc edition 3.4.0.0 (bundled with the mk2 console,which i already uninstalled on one pc because i thought two versions of virtualdj would cause the problem) and future decks pro 2.0.2.

as i wrote above i´m using two different pc´s. one pc (win xp pro 32 bit with sp2) is only for producing music with ableton live (with a rme hammerfall hdsp 9632 soundcard) and i dont have any problems using other usb devices like behringer bcr 2000 or my master keyboard (which i disconnect when using the dj console mk2) with the power of the usb bus. the other pc has no additional soundcard (only the onboard sound which i deactivated).

i think i figured out that the problem is to be achieved when neighbours (or myself) are using dvb-t antennas to watch tv (maybe because of the db boosting of those antennas or the signal itself??).
i had no problems for a while when i switched off my antenna, but my neighbours want to watch tv alsolaughing.

yesterday i contacted the hercules support via internet with no answer until now. i will try to cantact them via phone tomorrow.

i will precise the configuration in my profile for the pc´s.

when the problem cant be solved i will exchange my mk2 console and buy another product from another provider or i will go and buy vinyl and reanimate my two technics sl 1210 mk2.

many thanks for your answer and your time you were spending,

greetings,

brotax

Topic starter

hi again,

today i bought an external power supply for the mk2 console and i still have the same problem.
now i am really at the end to explore the possibilities what ever will cause the problem.
every signal i´m playing about the console has these loudness ups and downs (virtualdj, future decks, winamp etc.).
it only can be an error with the console itself or any signal ratio (maybe really dvbt antennas????? or wireless lan networks????).

now the support will get a call from me and when they cant help me i will exchange this thing and never buy any hercules product again.

im really pi..ed now

Topic starter

there is always a possibility that your mk2 might have a hardware defect, but people have used it successfully in clubs and other locations with many sources of interferences near by, so shielding should not be an issues.

do you have the possibility to try your console in a different environment, to see if you get the same results ?

Topic starter

hello,

i figured out that i have to connect the console to my pc, then i have to disconnect it and connect it a second time (while windows is running). very strange but it works fine now. i tried the console in two different enviroments on two different pc´s and had always the same problem (one pc on the groundfloor of my residence and one pc on the top floor).

my phone call to the german support of hercules was a big joke. the staff member really asked me if i could take a photo of my problem and send it to him. my answer was: how shall i take a photo of an audio signal??
after describing my problem thousand times i once again answered him that every audio signal of the console shows this problem (vdj, future decks, winamp and all other media players, external signals). his answer was if i can watch a movie via any media player and if the problem is still there. i once again answered: every signal shows the same problem. then he couldnt continue to help me and suggested to exchange the console or send it to hercules for repairing it. end of phone call. no other clue? i realize that the support cant help when you really have a problem, like all supports in germany. by the way i still have no answer of my online contact to the hercules support. sad, really sad.

but the main point is that it works like a charm now. and for the price i payed its a (now) really good sounding and user friendly console.
i´m happy now laughing

thx for any answer.

keep the vibes alive    wink

Topic starter

hello brotax,

1) for the need to connect-disconnect-reconnect
if you have to connect-disconnect-reconnect, i suppose it is a usb-bus power supply problem. if you have the opportunity to connect the dj console mk2 to a power usb hub, i suppose you should not meet this problem any problem.
for the power adapter you have connected with no success, it helps only if it is a regulated power adapter, if the adapter is not regulated, then the dj console mk2 remains powered via the usb port. you know whether the adapter is regulated because it is written "regulated" on the adapter if it is regulated. 

2) for the switching from asio to wdm in virtualdj
virtualdj automatically switches hercules dj console series between asio and wdm depending on your virtualdj setting.
with hercules dj consoles, you find in virtualdj sound setup panel the setting "enable eq on external inputs":
- if you activate this setting, virtualdj switches the console in asio,
- if you dont activate this setting, virtualdj switches the console in wdm.

3) technical supports can help when one meets a problem, but it takes time to identify the issue when it is not a common one. 

Topic starter

hello maxdjack,

thanks for your answer.

the only thing i can say about the power supply is that it´s a fixed voltage plug in power unit (switching power supply technology).

i still have no answer from the support and its about a month now i asked to help me.
i don´t use the mk2 console anymore and i´ll never ever buy any hercules product again.

i decided to buy a reloop digital jockey 2 interface edition. that one is great and makes no problems at all. its worth every cent i paid for it.

merry xmas and a happy new year,

brotax