Notifications
Clear all

Innofader T7 upgrade fader curve issue

15 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I recently purchased the $179 upgrade and I’m finding the curve unusable. I’ve owned many mixers and faders in the past, but this one has a curve that is not amenable to my mixing style. I wasn’t sure of the technical terms, but I found some answers online, including a response directly from Innofader.

Reddit user describing my issue:

“The behaviour youre describing sounds like typical behaviour of a constant power crossfader curve. The volume dip in the middle is usually around -3db which means the sum of two tracks playing is equal to Odo so you don't have a doubling of signal / output.”

In my words, as soon as I move the fader from a closed position towards the middle, there is a substantial drop off in the volume of the current playing/master side (a “dip” calibration). When I reach the middle of the fader, both decks are playing at a lower volume than the volume presented when the fader is closed on either side. I have the hardware fader setting on mix mode (not scratch). In my experience, both songs should be playing at equal volume when the fader is in the middle. I understand that certain DJs like this feature for whatever reason, but I can’t believe that it’s the default setting on a fader.

Further, various reviews online indicate that this fader module can be calibrated to one’s preferences (including Mojax). But according to Innofader’s OWNER, this is not possible. He advised me to notify Hercules about this issue, but there is no direct contact option here. Here is his response:

“I understand what you are trying to accomplish but since the Hercules T7 uses a single VCA control to adjust both sides of the crossfader, if you try to say boost the dip for CH1, this will in turn reduce the volume for CH2 in the center of the crossfader.

I would suggest you provide this exact feedback to Hercules directly. There is no way I can fix this issue with any Innofader design on the T7. This is something they would have to fix in the way their controller interacts with Serato as the current implementation only has two possible settings in Serato. I would even suggest that the "crossfader off" setting on the crossfader select switch be changed to a "no dip" mix setting.”

-- 
Best Regards,
Elliot Marx
Owner, Audio Innovate

I suppose I’m left to returning this fader and trying the Hercules upgrade, but I need assurance that the default setting presents a smoother mix mode than the Innofader. Any help from Hercules is appreciated. 

10 Answers

Hello BAM,

Welcome to the forum.

What you refer to is not related to the crossfader, it is software related: it comes from the way the apps Serato DJ (Lite and Pro) handle the crossfader curve when set on slow (mix).
If you set the crossfader curve on fast (scratch), you will not feel this slight decrease on the middle position of the crossfader.
If you use another DJ app (as Djuced), you will not feel this level drop in the middle position of the crossfader.

Topic starter

Thank you for this explanation, but then why did I not experience this with other digital controllers? I just had a Pioneer where the fader had much a smoother fader volume transition. I don’t understand how one is to use the fader mix function if the volume drops so noticeably when sliding between channels. A track that was playing at level 10 with the fader closed suddenly drops to level 7 as soon as I start to bring in the other track. And both tracks play at level 7 with the fader in the middle.

What is the purpose of a fader with this curve and how do you mix with it without creating awkward volume changes? I’ve been djing since 1996 and have never experienced this. Thanks. 

Hello BAM,
It depends on what your other digital controllers is.
If you have used a Pioneer controller for Serato with a hardware mixer (as DDJ-SR, SX, 1000....), you did not hear the volume drop at the centre position in slow curve because it was a hardware mix, not using Serato for the crossfader mix.
If you have used a software mix Pioneer DJ Controller for Serato as DDJ-SB, DDJ-FLX4, then you should have the same phenomenon.

Hello BAM,

Serato explains this crossfader setting in
https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/223446728-Mixer

"Crossfader

Adjusts the crossfader curve. Turn the dial to the left for a slow gradual fade or to the right for a fast, tighter cut. This adjustment will affect both types of curve, Linear and Power:

Linear
When Linear is selected and the crossfader curve is set to slow, the two tracks blend smoothly as the crossfader moves across. Both tracks are at half volume when the crossfader is in the middle, so for two distinct tracks there will be a dip in volume.
(....)

Power
When Power is select and the crossfader curve is set to slow, there will be an obvious dip in volume around the middle of the crossfader, where the audio from the track already playing fades smoothly out before audio from the incoming track fades in.
(....)" 

Hi, 

this described behavior is exactly why I am here. 

I come from a series of Reloop controllers to the adorable T7 but the Crossfader curve currently drives me nuts. 

What I‘d prefer is a linear (or logarithmic) rise from left to center and from right to center with both tracks playing fully loud from the middle to the corresponding edge. The current level drop is far too much for my mixing style. 

any chance to fix this with a future firmware upgrade? Or a workaround solution? 

By the way, the Hercules Updater software package crashes on all of my Macs (Intel or Mseries, from Monterey to Sonoma). Any hints here?

Hello Sascha,

Welcome to the forum.

Please remember nobody may duplicate your technical issue if you do not describe the software.

1) If you refer to Serato DJ Pro, and the crossfader curve switch, the usual workaround is to map a crossfader curve on one of the rotary knobs. I have for example a mapping of crossfader curve on Shift+deck1 EQ Mid knob.

2) If you refer to Serato DJ Lite, we are talking with Serato of changing the Mix position (of the Mix-Scratch-Off switch) on the crossfader curve.

3) If you refer to another DJ app, please precise this DJ app.

As you do not describe how you try to run Hercules updater package, or say what your crash is (error message, app freezing, controller not detected, firmware not detected...), I cannot comment your message on updater. If you meet a technical issue, you can receive guidance only if you provide enough technical information for forum readers to duplicate your technical issue.

Sascha from dj-mcsushii.de 09/04/2024 11:10 pm

Hi, you are right, sorry. I refer to Serato DJ Pro. While I like the idea of mapping the Xfader curve to a rotary knob as described, I instantly ran into the problem, that Serato refuses to let me map the curve at all. (I activated "remap Serato hardware" and created a new config. Then I left settings and switched to the decks view. Here I enabled MIDI, opened up settings and failed to select the XFader curve function as it was non-selectable. What am I doing wrong here?

Sascha from dj-mcsushii.de 09/04/2024 11:16 pm

And about the updater app (latest version from the Hercules website, v6.51), the icon just starts bouncing in the app bar on my Mac and then closes. No error messages or else. Just a bouncing icon for some seconds, then stops bouncing and the activity mark below the icon fades away. If I use the InpulseT7ControlPanel it instantly invokes the "quit unexpectedly" window

Hello Sacha

You can download for 7 days on
https://we.tl/t-HyZtDmp6Fs
a mapping file for DJControl Inpulse T7 assigning the control of the crossfader curve to Shift+Deck 1 EQ Mid knob.

1) Copy the xml file in the folder
Macintosh HD/Users/[username]/Music/_Serato_/MIDI

2) run Serato DJ Pro

3) Go in Serato>Setting>MIDI,

4) In MIDI Devices, select DJControl Inpulse T7, then check "Allow Serato Hardware Remapping"

5) in MIDI Presets, select the mapping file T7_XFader_On_Deck1_Shift_EQ_Mid

6) click on Load

7) close serato settings menu

=> when you press on shift and turn T7 deck 1 EQ MID knob, it controls the crossfader curve (if you move the crossfader curve switch afterwards, it cancels it, so do not move the crossfader curve switch afterwards).

Sascha from dj-mcsushii.de 10/04/2024 9:41 pm

Thanks a lot. This resolves my problem perfectly. I now used the same way to map the Sampler Volume to the left mid eq. That‘s excellent. (But I still don‘t know how you mapped the XFader Curve.)

Nevertheless once again thank you. Will play my first gig on the T7 on Saturday. I‘ll raise a drink for you. 🖖🏻

Sascha from dj-mcsushii.de 10/04/2024 10:15 pm

oops. I was too early to reply. As the SHIFT layer is currently not user mappable my edit for the Sampler Volume unfortunately does not work. Would you mind helping me out here again? I'd love to have the sampler volume on the deck 2 Mid EQ knob in addition to your edit for the deck 1 mid eq knob please. Thanks in advance

Hello Sasha,

For your message on the updater app (latest version from the Hercules website, v6.51), what you see is not the updater it is the control panel (which can run each time you connect or switch on the DJ controller to check its firmware version). Your macOS settings prevent the control panel from running, so it ends, it is not a crash, it is simply ordered to quit by macOS.
I am not on my mac now so I will look at it later to tell you which macOS settings authorize it. Blocking the DJ control panel is not a big problem, as the only action of the control panel is 1) read the firmware version in the controller, 2) compare it with the last version on the manufacturer website, 3) tell you if there is a firmware update. 

Hello Sasha,

Please download on
https://we.tl/t-938mduZtMZ
a mapping file for DJControl Inpulse T7 assigning the controls of
- crossfader curve to Shift+deck 1 EQ Mid knob,
- and sampler volume to Shift+ deck 2 EQ Mid knob.

To use it
1) Copy the xml file in the folder Macintosh HD/Users/[username]/Music/_Serato_/MIDI
2) run Serato DJ Pro
3) Go in Serato>Setting>MIDI,
4) In MIDI Devices, select DJControl Inpulse T7, then check "Allow Serato Hardware Remapping"
5) in MIDI Presets, select the mapping file T7_-_XFaderCurve_D1_Shift_Mid_-_SamplerVol_D2_Shift_Mid
6) click on Load
7) close serato settings menu.

For deck 1 control, you must use the shift key of deck 1.
For deck 2 control, you must use the Shift key of deck 2. 

Sascha from dj-mcsushii.de 12/04/2024 9:55 pm

Thanks a lot. That's awesome customer support. Thank you.

Once again, thanks a lot, works like a charm. 🙏🏼